Europdrive - Our Cross-border Breakdown Cover

Europdrive is Europcar's cross-border breakdown product that is mandatory* if you wish to take a car or van and drive it outside of the UK.
Not only does Europdrive provide you with 24 hour, 365 day breakdown cover whilst you're overseas, but it also provides you with a proof of ownership of the vehicle (VE103B) and proof of insurance in the form of a “Green Card” as is a legal requirement within the EU. If you have a Europcar hire vehicle under your own insurance, it is your responsibility to ensure you have sufficient insurance cover to take the vehicle abroad, as well as purchasing the appropriate Europdrive package.
The cost of Europdrive varies by location up to a maximum of £309.40.
Once purchased, you will receive an RAC booklet with all the necessary documents to take your UK car hire abroad, including details of the breakdown service available and emergency telephone numbers. In the unlikely event of a breakdown, if the vehicle cannot be fixed, a replacement vehicle will be provided to complete your journey.
With Europdrive, customers are covered to take their UK vehicle hire into the following countries**:
- Andorra
- Austria
- Belgium
- Denmark
- Finland
- France
- Germany
- Gibraltar
- Ireland
- Iceland
- Italy
- Liechtenstein
- Luxembourg
- Netherlands
- Norway
- Portugal
- San Marino
- Spain
- Sweden
- Switzerland
If you are visiting the Republic of Ireland from Northern Ireland or the UK Mainland you must purchase our Cross-Border Pack.***
Travelling Abroad Post-Brexit
The UK’s departure from the EU means there are some changes to the way you travel abroad by car or van. Please read the below to ensure you are fully compliant when driving within EU countries.
For further information on travelling to the EU Post-Brexit visit the government website.
International Driving Permits
In most instances you will not need to obtain an International Driving Permit to drive within the EU. However, if you have a paper driving licence, or a licence that was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man you might need to obtain and carry an IDP for travel in some EU countries and Norway.
Visit this government website prior to making your travel arrangements to check if you need an IDP in the countries you plan to travel in.
IDPs can be bought at most Post Offices. Visit for more details.
UK Stickers
When taking a vehicle outside of the UK you must display a UK sticker on the rear of the vehicle. This is included in your Europdrive package and will be provided at the Europcar Station upon collection of your hire vehicle.
Contact your pickup location to purchase Europdrive ahead of your hire.
Call our Reservation team on 0871 384 9900****
Europdrive gives you:
  • Peace of Mind
  • Proof of Ownership
  • Breakdown Cover
*Europdrive can be purchased over the phone, online or at the pickup station a few days prior to your pickup date. As Europdrive is mandatory, Europcar reserves the right to cancel the whole booking if Europdrive is not purchased alongside.
**Please note that customers are unable to take the following vehicles out of the UK: - Any Mercedes vehicles in both standard and Selection fleet. - All Selection vehicles - Box taillifts, LDV Maxus vans & minibuses. - All premium and luxury vehicles within the standard fleet within the following car categories: FCAR, PCAR, PCMR, PDMR, PWAR, PWMR, LCAR, LDAR & LWAR including the BMW 3 and 5 series, Mercedes C and E class, Audi A6 and A4 and Volvo XC90.
*** The Cross-Border Pack supplies you with the form VE103B, a Green Card if it is required by your destination country, plus other important information relating to recovery at a charge of £36 for 1 day, or £22.50 per day for travel of 2 or more days (up to a maximum of £157.50). Further details can be found in the Tariff Guide.
****(Calls to 0871 numbers will cost 10 pence per minute plus your phone company's access charge).